Table of Contents
Child Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) Report on differently-abled children —
- Foreigner = 7x Indians, who adopt disabled children from India.
- Domestic adoptions has fallen with every passing year — 76→ 49→ 46
- Foreigners adoptions rose by 50% in last year alone — 237 (2017-18)
- As per the law, efforts have to be made to place a child within India first, if not adopted by any Indian applicant — then only he/she is referred to foreigners. Hence overseas applicant are mostly referred disabled children.
- Huge gap in the cultural attitude towards disabilities is one of the reason for such variance.
- Lack of proper social security mechanism in India — lack of incentives (eg. tax benefits, easy loans) — lack of proper healthcare facilities etc. In foreign — the social security mechanism is much more robust.
- Access to schools, public-places, employment opportunities etc
To remove the title of ‘hub of commercial surrogacy’ from India
- Statutory Body — CARA is created under the Juvenile Justice (Care & Protection) Act, 2015
- Nodal body for adoption of Indian Children and master regulator. The greatest hurdle is to ensure that the child is ‘legally free’.
- Hague Convention on Inter-country Adoption, 1993, ratified by Government of India in 2003.
- CARINGS Initiative
- Law — Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 (see GS2 Act folder)
- The number of adoption of children is on a decline for last four years.
- Extensive Paperwork
- Paperwork now made online for making the process easy. Hasn’t quite worked out well — procedural delay is the most cited reason
- 2013-14 — only 4000 children were adopted compared from 6000 in 2011-12
- Guidelines include linking orphaned and abandoned children in institutes across the country to CARA — Central Adoption Resource Agency — nodal agency — making the process much faster and efficient.
- Idea is to cut the waiting period for an adoption to a few months from year or more now.
- Murphy Baby Syndrome — Social and Mindset problem
- Everyone wants a fair, chubby, cute baby
- Baby Boy over Baby Girl
- Age of the baby and its physical health is also a major factor.
- This results in a conflict between the prospective parents and the agencies.
- Rise of Surrogacy
- An alternative to adopt — at least 50% of the baby will be ‘their own Blood’
- Artificial reproductive technology is giving a stiff competition to the cause of adoption.
- Black Market
- Through nursing homes, hospitals, institutes illegally
- These adoption are not in records — this number can be as much as 10 times the official record
- Human trafficking is also a major problem arising due to illegal adoption and black market.